We envision a student-centered and compassionate campus community where the path to graduation for all Cal Poly students is free of institutional barriers, guided by equitable policies, and bolstered by proactive advising. Learn more.
As part of the CSU Graduation Initiative 2025 (GI 2025) Long Term Campus Plan, two goals were identified that informed development of the University Advising Retention Specialist role:
- Develop integrative models for student advising & academic support
- Remove or reduce barriers to graduation
These goals were broken down to include two efforts, specifically reflecting the role of Academic Advising and Retention Specialists, launched to improve Cal Poly retention and graduation rates and to eliminate graduation gaps on our campus:
- Provide additional proactive advising throughout students’ academic careers
- Identify major impediments to student success & develop specific measures & timeline to address impediments
Philosophically, the University Advising - Retention team believes it is our role to build a more student-ready campus so we may support the retention and graduation of every student admitted to our University.
How are we doing this?
Analyze & share data to inform decision-making
With the help of data, we can more effectively target energy and resources where help is needed most. Learn more!
Reach out to students taking time off or leaving Cal Poly
We support students in navigating multiple processes & policies, including:
- Leave of Absence: Supporting students as they leave and return from extended absences.
- Informal Time Off: Guiding and intervening with students planning short-term breaks from campus.
- Active/Not Enrolled: Re-engaging students temporarily absent from campus.
- University Departure: Connecting with students who are permanently leaving Cal Poly and collecting feedback on their experience.
Identify barriers to graduation equity & recommend solutions
Based on our outreach and data collection efforts, we have identified and recommended changes to remove barriers to student persistence and graduation. Learn more!
Provide intentional support to Cal Poly Scholars
We aim to build advising-based systems to adequately support our growing Transfer and Year 3+ Cal Poly Scholars community. Learn more!